WRIT340 Random Post #1: Los Angeles Coffee Culture
Los Angeles Coffee Culture
The best (and worst) of LA’s 5 Most “Trendy” Coffee Shops
Coffee Conneisuer
My Not-So-Strange Addiction
Many people like drinking coffee in the morning. I know I do. But I don’t just like coffee, I love it. On average, I’ll drink at least two cups of coffee per day (emphasis on at least). And unlike many of my peers, I genuinely enjoy the bitter taste of coffee, espresso, and matcha. This might be because I grew up drinking Turkish coffee and Persian tea, which has a naturally bitter taste.
While some people may call me a coffee addict, I prefer the word connoisseur (just kidding, I would never call myself that). Regardless of what you think of my coffee consumption, drinking a lot of coffee has certainly given me strong opinions about various coffee shops in the greater Los Angeles area. After frequent visits to many coffee shops around LA, I have prepared a solid list of the 5 best Los Angeles coffee shops.
Café Criteria
What it Takes to be the Best Coffee Shop in Los Angeles
I’ve outlined a set of criteria as a consistent measure each coffee shop can be evaluated, ensuring a comprehensive and relatively objective evaluation. In doing so, I provide you with a fair assessment of each coffee shop and its unique flavors, ambiance, and overall customer experience.
Vibe
How do you feel when you walk in? How do you feel when you walk out? How do the ambiance and design make you feel? Is there a sense of community among the regulars? Do you feel drawn to come back?
Menu Variety
What’s on the menu? How many options are there? Are there dietary accommodations? Any seasonal or special items?
Value and Quality
Who is their coffee or matcha supplier? Are the espresso beans high quality? Is the matcha “ceremonial grade” or a lower quality? Are the drinks “watered down” with too much ice, milk, or water? How much can you expect to pay? Is the quality high enough to justify the price?
Uniqueness
How are they any different from the classic large brands like Starbucks or Peets Coffee? Is their design or menu different enough to justify going out of your way? Is there a visual or aromatic appeal?
Taste
Is there any complexity in flavor? Have they achieved an optimal brewing technique? Are the drinks perfect, under-extracted (sour, weak), or over-extracted (harsh, bitter)? Is there an aftertaste, and if so, is it good? Is there harmony between the different ingredients used (or does their almond milk make your latte taste like chalk)? Is the texture of the food pleasant? How is the consistency of the beverage? Are the menu items consistently good? Is the coffee and food typically served at an ideal temperature?
The Ranking
LA’s 5 BEST Coffee Shops
THE HOT SPOT
Arguably the most popular coffee shop in Los Angeles right now, Community Goods offers customers some of the best coffee and menu items with a side of celebrity sightings. My first visit to Community Goods, the shop was empty. They had only recently opened and had yet to capture the attention of thousands of Angelenos. The baristas were incredibly friendly, the coffee was delicious, and the overall atmosphere was very cool. The design and decor felt different than anything I have ever seen. This uniqueness might be because the shop was designed by a small team and hand-built. The eye-catching box design uses high ceilings with wood beams and lots of natural light to create an inviting and warm atmosphere. Instead of opting for an overly modern or trendy style, the founder opted for a unique industrial camping-esq design. The walls hold classic records, while the shelves are lined with miscellaneous items. These items give customers the option to pick up essentials like notebooks, butter, hot sauce, and even pimple patches. Outside the coffee shop, there is an incredibly relaxing space surrounded by a fence. This might not sound relaxing, especially considering the close proximity to Melrose. However, Community Goods has managed to use innovative design and positioning to cultivate a relaxing, quiet, and yet somehow social outdoor space for customers to enjoy their coffee, meet up with friends, and even study!
Ever since Drake and the Biebers made a few appearances, the buzz around Community Goods has been non-stop. When most people hear this, they question whether the coffee is actually good, or if people are simply going for the hype. To most people’s surprise, the coffee is actually really good! And despite the continuously expanding line, the quality has not suffered one bit. In fact, I think the quality has actually improved (a lot). The menu even expanded, now including a variety of specialty beverages and food items (which are usually only available before noon). Additionally, they have expanded their outdoor seating area, now accommodating even more customers. The vibe is incredibly social, and I feel a strong urge to come back (even if it is a 30-minute drive away from campus).
I’ve rated Community Goods as the best coffee shop in Los Angeles because it provides incredibly unique design and atmosphere, some of the best coffee in the area, a social and dynamic community, and so much more.
A HIDDEN GEM
A true hidden gem, Strings of Life (SOL) is one of my personal favorite coffee shops in Los Angeles. While celebrity citings are not uncommon here, Strings of Life definitely provides a more “lowkey” atmosphere than Community Goods. Despite being located on Melrose, Strings of Life is somewhat “hidden” from plain view and doesn’t draw much buzz from the community. However, this doesn’t mean Strings of Life doesn’t have regulars. In my experience, Strings of Life has a very strong sense of community. The employees are incredibly friendly and you tend to see a lot of the same faces throughout the week. The coffee is incredibly delicious, and the menu provides a variety of pastries and breakfast items to choose from. During the week, it is the perfect coffee shop to get work done. On the weekends, it is much busier, and the sunny patio is a great place to catch up with friends. Overall, this Australian cafe definitely stands out amongst the myriad of similar LA coffee shops.
IF SUMMER WAS A COFFEE SHOP
South of Sunset Blvd on a somewhat busy street, Bravo Toast has a much more upbeat atmosphere than most of the coffee shops on this list. The bright and open design creates an inviting space. The combination of indoor and outdoor seating options is perfect for both working days and social ones. You can sit indoors for a quiet working experience or outside for a more social experience. The coffee here is consistently very good, but most people go for the toast. The toast pairs incredibly well with all of their beverages. So even if you prefer matcha over coffee, Bravo Toast has what you need. I highly recommend going here for a quick bite and pick-me-up coffee in the afternoon. While it isn’t the most unique, the energy is incredibly positive. I’ve never been in a bad mood at Bravo Toast (ever). Definitely recommend giving it a try (especially on a sunny day).
SOMETHING DIFFERENT
I actually wasn’t a huge fan of Maru Coffee until recently. They definitely have an incredibly unique design and a lot of menu variety. However, my first experience at Maru Coffee was not the best. Their matcha latte was slightly watered down, and the oat milk completely overpowered any of the matcha flavors, leaving me very disappointed. For the high price tag, I would hope for something slightly less watered down.
After my second and third visits, I realized that I was too quick to judge. While I am still not a fan of their Matcha latte, their pure espresso and “cream-top” iced latte are exceptional. Not only are their coffee options unique, but they are incredibly tasty. Additionally, the design is very modern and visually appealing. While I do love the design, I rate them slightly below the other coffee shops for a lack of seating options and an overall uncomfortable vibe that isn’t ideal for studying or socializing. Something about the overly minimal design and lack of space between the limited number of seats makes me want to leave. While I definitely recommend going to Maru for coffee, I would suggest taking it to-go instead of sitting inside.
ALFRED COFFEE (Pacific Palisades)
THE BEST OF THE WORST
Alfred Coffee is one of the most popular coffee shops in Los Angeles…. at least it used to be. Despite rapid expansion and major popularity over the last decade, Alfred Coffee has seen a significant decrease in quality (and popularity). Of course, people still go to Alfred Coffee (that includes me). However, the cafe has most definitely lost the buzz that once drew swarms of customers to the store. Specifically at the historic Melrose Pl location, Alfred Coffee has lost its spark, to say the least.
Alfred serves some of the best and worst coffee in Los Angeles. Recently, it has been bad more often than not. However, one specific Alfred Coffee, location located in the Palisades Village, has yet to disappoint. Imagine the original Alfred Coffee on Melrose... minus the lack of parking, long lines, deteriorating quality, and terrible coffee-to-milk ratio.
The Palisades Village location provides unparalleled coffee, with a perfect coffee-to-milk ratio (take notes, Melrose). Additionally, there is ample outdoor seating and a pleasant atmosphere to get work done or chat with friends. Overall, this is a great coffee shop and the best of Alfred Coffee. If you have been wanting to try Alfred Coffee or had a bad experience at one of the other locations, give this one a try. I promise you won’t be disappointed.
I hope you enjoy these recommendations. Give them a try and let me know what you think!
-PR
Hi Pirooz! I also love coffee so much and love trying out different cafes around the LA area. I've heard of Maru before but have been able to try it. I have to try Community Goods as well from your good review. Thank you for the recommendations, I will have to go!!
ReplyDeleteHi Pirooz! Thank you for all of the coffee spot recommendations. I’ve never been to any of these (mainly because I actually hate coffee—sorry not sorry—but I do enjoy the smell and vibes of coffee shops. Additionally, surely there’s a nice matcha latte for me to enjoy) I would love to know if you’re a grab and go coffee person or stay and study coffee connoisseur. I’m not sure if you’ve tried About Time in K Town, but they have a corn latte there that’s pretty good. The drink is super trendy in Korea, and I’d recommend trying it once whenever you have time!
ReplyDeletePirooz, I really appreciate the time you put into recommending these amazing coffee spots. I am always looking for new places to discover and sometimes don't end up doing it because I don't know were to go and if I can trust internet recommendations. I have never been to any of the ones you listed but definitely will try them out. I am a big coffee lover and this is great insight for me.
ReplyDeleteHi Pirooz! I loved reading your post about your favorite coffee spots! I have never been to any of these coffee spots but they all look very good and I am hoping to visit one soon. Do you tend to stick with the same coffee order every time or do you like to switch it up?
ReplyDeleteHi Pirooz, thank you so much for sharing! As a fellow coffee-lover, I'm so excited to try out your recommendations. I feel like you touched on all the important stuff when it comes to an excellent coffee and a great café.
ReplyDelete