WRIT340 Book 2 Post 1: Feel-Good Productivity by Ali Abdaal
WRIT340 Book 2 Post 1
For my second book of this semester, I’ve decided to read Feel-Good Productivity by Ali Abdaal. I chose this book because I procrastinate sometimes, and want to learn how I can better use my time in an effective way. As soon as I read the title, I knew this was the book for me. Of course I want to do more of what I love and be simultaneously more productive. While I do things I enjoy, and also get my work done, I definitely recognize the need to improve my productivity.
Similar to the author, simply “doing more” isn’t enough for me. I realize that it isn’t that I need to work harder, and that my health and happiness do not need suffer in order to achieve more in a day. Personally, I find that my sleep is the category that suffers the most throughout the busiest moments of my life. Whether it be because of school or external commitments, I find myself prioritizing almost everything over my sleep.
Hearing the results of Isen’s candle experiment, I find myself in deep agreement with the resulting conclusion. Participants who received a gift prior to the experiment were more likely to successfully complete the “stick a candle to the wall” as part of the experiment’s challenge than participants who weren’t given a gift. While these results may seem trivial, Isen’s findings actually reveal how mood corresponds to successful problem solving, development of social connections, creativity, and much more. Abdaal goes on to explain how feeling good doesn’t end with feeling good: it boosts are creativity and our productivity! Under a lens of positivity, we are more likely to consider various alternative resources, which create an “upward spiral” of success. I find myself in deep agreement with the author, as I feel that my focus, productivity, sociability, and everything in between is incredibly dependent on my mood. When I’m in an overwhelmingly positive mood, I tend to naturally succeed in everything I am doing. On the other hand, when I’m not in a particularly positive mood, I find myself to be more sluggish and exhausted throughout the day, making me less likely to pursue my goals or do the things I want to do throughout the day.
Overall, I find myself relating heavily to the themes and main points emphasized in this book. Every example and key point the author makes perfect sense in explaining my own productivity levels throughout the year. I look forward to continue reading this book, and hopefully developing a greater understanding of how to be more productive while doing what I love.
Comments
Post a Comment